PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter Crash at Shoreham Airshow
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2016, 19:10
idle bystander

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Tourist, CM:
I am merely pointing out that flying straight and level at 400Kts and 100ft across a road is less "insane" than the continuous stream of airliners that approach Heathrow and many other airports around the world across busy roads and houses despite aviation's long history of final approach crashes.
I think (hope) that we are at cross purposes. You seem to think that I think that the initial manoeuvre, as he arrived, was unsafe. I am not referring to that part of the display at all. Indeed, I can see that an arrival like that, leading into a pull up and ¼ clover (whatever, there seems to have been argument about terminology, and I'm not competent to enter that discussion) is nicely dramatic but safe and shows off the aircraft in just the way the public want. Crossing the A27 at this point is not especially dangerous - I think there are road signs warning drivers of low flying aircraft.

My comment was addressing the rest of the manoeuvre. From the moment the roll started on the upward leg he is is changing the axis of the display with the inevitable result that the highest energy part of the manoeuvre would take place low over a busy arterial road. If he had been, as you put it, "flying straight and level at 400Kts and 100ft across a road", there would have been no accident, 11 people would still be alive and we could all be getting worked up about some other incident.

My point is that if this geometry was planned, briefed and approved, then it was unsafe and there are lots of people whose job it was to prevent it going wrong. The buck most certainly does not stop with the pilot.