PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter Crash at Shoreham Airshow
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2016, 13:39
LOMCEVAK

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
PPRT,

Re your post #1097. My previous points to which you refer regarding entry height related purely to the vertical plane and I made no reference to Shoreham specifically nor crossing roads. FYI, I fly frequently at Air Shows at one airfield that has major roads close to two of its sides and the minimum heights for overflight are always specifically briefed and closely monitored by the Flying Control Committee. Also, please note that in my post prior to yours I had said that my comments on 60 deg pitch were not factually correct and that there are, to my knowledge, no pitch or roll attitude values quoted that define aerobatic manoeuvres flown in accordance with CAP403.

To you and all on this thread, there seems to be a great interest (almost obsession) in the practice and regulatory aspects of entering looping manoeuvres from flypast minima. For those of us who display under CAP403 this is totally normal, as is the permitted flying down to flypast minima once the aerobatic minima has been captured. So let us put this into the context of this discussion (although not specifically related to Shoreham):

Much of the discussion has been on regulations which, in this age of wanting a regulation to cover every eventuality, is hardly surprising. But why do we have/need regulations? In my opinion, it is to establish a considered framework that enhances safety. BUT ... there will ALWAYS be a requirement for pilots to exercise sound judgement and common sense, qualities that were once called 'airmanship', a word which nowadays is used far too infrequently. The same applies to Flying Display Directors and Flying Control Committees. You can follow regulations and be unsafe or break them and be safe (although I am not condoning this latter scenario). With respect to loop entry heights and minimum heights on recovery, the manoeuvre must be flown safely. During the pull-up, a FDD or FCC member will have the expertise to assess this visually. Any suggestion that optical devices are needed to assess the pitch attitude on passing the aerobatic minimum height are fatuous and would add nothing to safety.

Regulatory numbers are not everything, just part of a safety culture. Sound judgement and common sense are still essential as well as regulations. Let us not forget that.