PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Legacy Age 65 Retirements
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2016, 11:53
bafanguy

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
The issue of "pilot shortage" is incredibly complex and data dependent, some of which isn't even available as it's driven by events which no one can foretell and/or companies won't disclose. I don't see a way for a conclusion about its existence to be reduced to small scale, anecdotal bits & pieces.

Mike McGee's RAND study is probably the best one I've seen (and I've tried to read every one I can find) as it's not produced by an organization with an economic and/or political stake in having the study indicate one conclusion or the other.

With all the hiring at the US legacy level, or near-legacy level, the domino effect will produce pressures in other segments of the industry as people try to move up to move to circumstances they feel are "better", ultimately a purely individual, subjective word. Some amount of time will be required for industry adjustments to events; pilots can't be cranked out like Fords on an assembly line.

I remain a very serious skeptic about a "shortage" as the term is somewhat undefined. And without an agreed upon definition, everyone is speaking a different language when trying to discuss all of this.

[and of course, I could just be completely WRONG ! :-)]

At any rate, my only interest in starting this thread was to let our non-US amigos see some properly-sourced, hard data about what's happening at the Big Three (or Four...or Five ?) over here...just for grins & giggles. Circumstances elsewhere in the world are not part of this particular matter.

The shortage issue is a very different subject and time will reveal the facts.

Last edited by bafanguy; 7th Feb 2016 at 12:12.