PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 7th Feb 2016, 10:23
Null Orifice

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: kilwhang's #4120

Regarding the "water in fuel" ex-Nassau (yep, I had to rough it there too - although I did manage to fit in a Belize night stop! ). This place was renowned for its lack of fuel hygiene. On a couple of occasions, the underground refuelling pits were under at least 1 foot of water after a heavy 'shower' - I believe there may be several photo albums containing pics of us lads with overalls/growbags jauntily hoisted above knee level while we carried out our herkwork. Refuelling was suspended until the tide went out.

With reference to the FSII hand pumping - there was in existence a trial of a 'local' mod produced at Lyneham whereby a length of refuelling hose was to be fitted between the bowser hose and the aircraft; this extra length of hose was fitted with an adapter (American spelling) for connecting the hand pump hose directly to the refuel line. The number of pump strokes was calculated according to the flow rate of the refuel bowser (can't remember how many strokes per whatsit - my grey matter has gone u/s). I've no recollection of it ever being used in anger.