PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helijet S-76C Loss of Control November 2015
Old 7th Feb 2016, 09:41
gulliBell

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My thinking with these approaches: there is no need to decouple the AP at DH/MDA once visual, even if you have to subsequently manoeuvre for a circling approach to land. With a stable approach established on the final segment the AP will keep you stable and going down to the runway, just maintain IAS minimum for coupling (what is it, 50 knots?). When pilots decouple too early from a stable approach and then move the controls is when things are at risk of getting unstable.

At 600' the search light provides adequate illumination to see the ground ahead of you. Passing 50' decouple, trim 10 degrees nose up, the airspeed and sink rate will reduce, run it on at 20 knots using a touch of collective at the bottom to cushion it on. There is no need to move the controls at all, just trim! With 5000' of runway ahead of you there is no need to slow down too early and risk getting yourself in a sticky situation. Anyway, this is the technique I teach, maybe there are other safe ways to do it. But the important thing is to use the resources available, maintain safe airspeed to be assured of reaching the runway, and monitor the sink rate. You will not get into settling with power if you keep 30+ knots airspeed, however be mindful that you can quickly slow below 30 knots and get into strife close to the ground if somebody is not closely watching the parameters.

These are my thoughts, for what they're worth.