PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR Into IMC Training?
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2016, 08:46
jas24zzk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lots said about training etc.

I myself am a heavy flight sim user, so my scan skills are reasonably good. The bad part tho, is you lose that motion, the motion that makes your ears lie to you, and makes you feel nauseous when you concentrate on the clocks.

I've managed skillfully to get myself into this situation twice. 1st as a recently minted PPL scud running bass strait in a twin. Had the presence of mind to bring forward my training and let the autopilot fly it while i recovered my wits and give it instructions to fly us out.

The second time I was in a 172 so handflying, low level over terrain, target airfield in sight. The cloud just dumped itself to the ground. I initiated responses and gave myself the leans within 5 seconds...got everything sorted from there tho. (obviously)

I didn't get it the first time really, but what I took away from the second experience was just how fast it really happens. I think this is where we have the 196 seconds to live tale.
Its not that the pilot lacks the ability/training to execute a 180 degree turn and fly back out. Its the training into how dangerous VMC into IMC is, it drums you into an immediate action to remedy the situation, and that gives you the leans straight up.

I'm not excited about doing it again, but experience survived, i know my response will be hmm, instead of F*CK and instant control inputs.