PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR Into IMC Training?
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2016, 03:00
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Occurrence is a general term which covers accidents and incidents which are divided into immediately reportable matters and routinely reportable matters.
Folks,
As I said in my first post, safe IFR/IMC is all about training and recency. Without both, stick to "severe clear". It is my many years (~55 years) of IFR operation that inform my statements of fact, and they are that, facts, not opinions.

Fujii,
Do you or have you worked for CASA, because it sound/reads like you have had "the operation".

FTDK,
It is not hard to find the stats. for loss of control into IMC. Maybe you were the one-off exception, it doesn't change the history of lives lost after loss of control in IMC. There is no valid arguments against the basic premise of "178 Seconds To Live".

I believe I'd last more than 180 seconds before I lost it with my basic PPL, but perhaps therein lies the problem (foolhardy belief)?
LOP,
Got it in one, has there ever been a pilot who thought: "Gee, there's a nice big cloud in front of my, I think I'll just head on in and kill myself". Of course not, they all thought they would get away with it. As the record shows, a foolhardy self-belief.

Those who can, do; those who can't, teach
Such sarcastic remarks add nothing to the discussion. Done any Cat. 3b approaches lately?? Ever been qualified for one?? It is my extensive IFR/IMC experience that always dictated how I addressed the very small "instrument" component of PPL or basic CPL in the syllabus, and how it could best be used.

For your information, I was hand-flying ILS to 200'/1/2 mile viz in the early 1960, that was planning minima as well --- ie: we only planned for an alternate if it was worse than that. We regularly practiced GCAs to touchdown in actual conditions, as well as "under the hood".
I often enough landed for real off a GCA with a viz. of <400m, with no ceiling, at those sort of visibilities, cloudbase and ceiling are rather meaningless concepts.
Aircraft regularly used were Comanche, Apache, Aztec and DH Dove. And that was all legal in the UK in the 1960s.

There was no ILS minima below 300' until early 1970s for Australia (300'/1 mile+), if I remember correctly, and even then, it was confined to Qantas outside Australia, and DCA mandated coupled approaches for minima below 300', when the general minima anywhere else was 200'/ xxx viz.

Tootle pip!!