PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - if you like the 747 ...
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2016, 02:57
ExSp33db1rd

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
................ heard a group from the flight talking about the best landing they had ever had..............
Pre 747, i.e. 707 days .... landing in Manilla one night ( having diverted from Hong Kong ) the Captains window fogged up on descent and hadn't cleared by the time we were about to start the approach. He said he had only recently been promoted and wasn't yet allowed to give landings to the co-pilot, so he would have to change seats with me and land from the right hand side.

I refused on the grounds that whereas he might still be 'legal' flying from the right hand seat. I certainly had no clearance or experience in the left hand seat, and so that might be "illegal", no problem, I was well qualified with recent landing practice, so just let me do the landing.

He refused, and with a bit of help continued to manually ( no autoland facility available then ) land with a partially obscured windscreen, but made rather a heavy landing.

Walking through Customs we heard two passengers say - deliberately in our presence - that was the worst landing they had experienced in a 707, but then the co-pilot had probably done it !