PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2016, 22:31
Turbine D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sandiego89,

First, I wanted to answer a1bill's comment on not seeing any fighters less expensive than the F-35 possessing similar "Superior" capabilities. Secondly, I wanted to narrow the response to that of an air to air combat role which the USAF does have need for in terms of air superiority. I also wanted to point out that the F-35, although initially stated by both DoD and L-M to be a duel role fighter, it isn't. In the air to air role, it will be poor and its effectiveness in the air to ground role has yet to be fully determined. So, to search for a less expensive air to air fighter aircraft, you have to look outside of the USA as we don't have any being produced these days. Although the F-22 is good, it isn't going back into production soon, or perhaps ever. IMHO, the USAF needs additional good air superiority fighters given the F-35 situation and the few F-22s available. OTOH, Europe does have some good air to air fighters that can hold their own in many ways. The Gripen C from Sweden is the least expensive and very capable in the air, plus it uses an American GE engine. It is simple to operate and maintain, small like the F-16 and highly maneuverable. So yes, it may well be slanted towards Europe, but what does the USA have available other than 200 or so F-22s when the F-16s and F-15s arrive at the bone yard?
Anyhow, here is the source I extracted information from while attempting to keep my posting shortened:

From Defense Issues January 2014.

https://defenseissues.wordpress.com/...tern-fighters/

For those who would like to read this and other interesting articles, you can vote your choice of the best air superiority fighter here:

From Defense Issues January 2016

https://defenseissues.wordpress.com

Hope this answers your questions