PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Slingsby Firefly's
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2016, 16:56
dobbin1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
.........I have heard stories that the early T67s would not recover after 'reverse control recovery' inputs i.e. stick forward before before applying opposite rudder. The recovery from this situation was to re-apply full pro-spin controls and then perform a normal recovery although this invoked a large height loss. I believe that later T67s did not suffer from this problem. Does anyone have any more details of this?
This "reverse control recovery" spin scenario and recovery is mentioned in the POH for our 160hpMkII T67M, so I assume it could still happen. The ex Barkston Heath training manual that we have requires the instructor to keep his hands and feet on the controls during spin training in order to prevent the student from putting the stick forward before full opposite rudder is applied.

I have never experienced this type of spin, but I have done many conventional spin recoveries in the Slingsby with no problems at all.

I understand that there have been some issues when aircraft have been carelessly towed by vehicles causing the pedal mechanism to distort and foul the airframe. I seem to recall some ADs were issued to inspect the pedals and reinforce the floor pan.