PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter Crash at Shoreham Airshow
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2016, 11:13
LOMCEVAK

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Pittsextra,

Pontius is spot on. From the speeds at which looping manoeuvres are entered in aircraft such as the Hunter you do not have to worry about what pitch attitude you will be at following the first 300 ft of the pull up. My point was one that the pilot had not exceeded his DA minima, not that he had extra parameters that he had to monitor during the initial pull-up.

With respect to 1/4 clover type manoeuvres in an aircraft of the speed category of the Hunter, if you start as you suggest at less than 60 degrees nose up there will be a significant reduction in the apex height for a given g/pitch rate flown during the pull up; it also means that you will probably reach the apex not quite wings level or you will have to roll through more than 90 deg to achieve wings level. I have no experience of flying these manoeuvres in light aeroplanes and therefore if you do I defer to you knowledge in this category. However, in the category B, C and G aircraft that I display I frequently fly 1/4 clovers and I start to roll at about 80 deg nose up such that the roll is symmetrical about the vertical line. I think that this looks neater and it minimises the reduction in apex height.

Please note that my comment regarding 60 deg nose up as the definition of the start of an aerobatic manoeuvre is a worst case figure promulgated by some regulators; others use 90 deg whilst some are not prescriptive to that extent at all.

Finally, your public profile gives no clues as to your experience but, from your comments, I doubt that you have any fast jet display experience so perhaps it would be better to ask questions here, which will be politely answered, rather than making statements that are invalid.