PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter Crash at Shoreham Airshow
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2016, 11:02
Courtney Mil

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Pitts
It is not a simple thing to judge and even less simple to repeat well and accurately.
And that is why displays are worked out and practiced in advance. Literally hundreds of display sequences include manoeuvres that have different entry and exit heights and speeds. The physics are simple, which is what you quote me as saying. The execution is more difficult, but a planned sequence has numerous pre-defined gates, not just for safety, but also to allow the aircrarft to arrive at the correct point in the sky at the right attitude and airspeed for the next part of the sequence.

Display flying requires a great deal of judgement, but flying a consistant sequence also requires the pilot to follow his plan. If you think that the pilot just makes it up on the day and thinks, "I'll start from a height below my exit height this time so I'll add a few knots" then you are mistaken and know even less about the subject than you previously stated and demonstrated.

To recap from earlier discussion, if you want to lower the entry height but maintain the same exit height, you must inclease the entry speed by a known amount - pre-determined when designing the display - adjust the pull on the way up. In the case of this sequence, you may have seen earlier that this manoeuvre was planned to flow from a low pass into a manoeuvre with a vertaical component, so was always planned with a lower entry height and was flown that way during practice, approval and numerous displays.

As your reply above takes my quote about physics and then refers purely to the judgement required I must conclude that you either didn't read what you quoted properly or you were just looking for something to argue with.