PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commercial Pilots who don't know about piston engines
Old 6th Feb 2016, 10:01
Jabawocky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trent
Commercial Pilots...
While not knocking APS at all because the people who run it are good and decent knowledgable people, I can't help but wonder that all the APS learning is predicated on a "Conforming Engine".
Where can a Commercial pilot, operating possibly many different engines concurrently, find a data plate (or whatever) that says the engine is a "Conforming Engine"?
Seems to me that private owners who know the ins and outs of their own engine would benefit a lot from an APS education but commercial pilots in and out of different machines on a daily basis would be hanging themselves out to dry by not heeding the OEM procedures, without knowing they were operating "Conforming Engines".
With appropriate knowledge and engine monitors any pilot be they private owners or commercial operators can tell if they have a conforming engine. There area few commercial operators, some who watch these threads in silence who have fleets of piston aircraft that ensure they are all operating conforming engines all the time.

It is not hard to do. Problem is you need pilots AND LAME's who care enough to use science and not OWT's to achieve it.

The definition of a conforming engine is simply one that is as it should be. The details of this myself and others have done to death already.

UL and AuBob are on the money.