PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Demonstrated X wind a pointless figure ?
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2016, 09:46
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the idea of having castoring main wheels after a crosswind touchdown is a worse nightmare than anything I've ever dreamt.
Plus the fact that is not just the crosswind component which determines landing accidents its also wind shear, strong gusts and rising falling and curling air over buildings terrain trees etc!

A lack of consistency in the wind strength and direction horizontally and vertically not just how much is coming from the side which to a certain extent is governed by the amount of rudder authority which again is related to the speed the pilot lands at

There the pilot has to be able to adjust to those changing conditions or even make a decision to go around if he/she is not happy

It still all comes back to technique and decision making surely? Sometimes I wonder whether rather than demonstrated the test pilot asses the aircraft ability to handle crosswinds and instead uses a grading from Good to medium good to average to medium poor or poor and not fix an out of the hat number at all

Last edited by Pace; 6th Feb 2016 at 11:02.