PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing loading question
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2016, 08:05
eckhard

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Imagine you are in level flight and decide to conduct a 60* level turn.

You roll on the bank, balancing with rudder, and apply back-pressure to maintain altitude.

Immediately after you are established in the perfect 60* level turn, holding 2g, the stall warner operates. (A)

You could decide to maintain this scenario, or:

You relax some of the back-pressure, reducing g slightly, but maintain 60* bank.

The stall warner ceases, because of the reduced g (wing loading).

What is happening to the altitude? It is reducing of course.

So, you are now in a 60* bank, balanced, descending turn with less than 2g. (B)

If you return to scenario (A) and wish to climb, maintaining a balanced 60* bank turn, how is this achieved?

By increasing the lift.

This is achieved by increasing back pressure, g and wing loading.

The aircraft will now climb, with the stall warner operating and buffet possibly being felt.

So you are now in a 60* bank, balanced, climbing turn with more than 2g. (C)

There are therefore three scenarios (A), (B) and (C), in all of which you are in a 60* bank, balanced turn but in which you have different amounts of g and wing loading.

I have deliberately not mentioned power/thrust changes. Let's assume that the power/thrust is constant and sufficient to achieve the results described.

I understand that in a 60 degree banked level turn the wing loading reaches 2Gs, is there a calc or rule of thumb for the wing loading in a decsending turn at different bank angles ? I assume the wing loading would be less in the descent than in a straight and level turn.
Yes, I agree but don't know the 'rule of thumb', other than the obvious relationship that; the less the wing loading, the greater the rate of descent.

If the aircraft is descending, but in a steady state of descent, the load factor will remain the same. Ditto climbing (if you have an aircraft powerful enough to achieve much climb at a sixty degree bank.)
Not sure that I agree with that.

At 60 degrees of bank, the G load is 2. But only if you pull on the stick to maintain level flight. In other words, it is the pulling (Or pushing) on the stick which determines the load factor negative or positive.

So if you pull during the descending turn or if you just reduce power on a trimmed a/c and let it descend without pulling you have 2 different scenarios.
Exactly! See above.