PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter Crash at Shoreham Airshow
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2016, 23:48
LlamaFarmer

Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Courtney Mil
We see plenty of people here that do use their anonymity to get away with all sorts of crap.

When I read posts here by people I don't know I always glance at their profile to see who I'm reading - more often than not, nothing. So I assume they have no relevant credentials and weigh my opinion of their post accordingly.

Some members here are right to remain anonymous; serving military especially. I remain suspicious of those here that I do not know if they disguise themselves for no apparent good reason other being able to post anything they want whilst hiding behind anonymity.

Some people may have a justified fear of reprisal for stating unfavourable things in a public domain. Stuff that if their company management were to see it and identify the person, may jeopardise their career progression in the company. And we all know how small the industry is, word can get around.

It might be perfectly reasonable for someone to withhold their identity, as you note yourself.

I remain anonymous on all the forums I am on... different usernames too as I'm not all that keen on anyone who can access an unsecure forum potentially working out who I am. Having said that I personally know members on most of those forums, and they know me personally and by username.
On here multiple members know who I am, however I don't like the idea that any old person could know, hence some level of anonymity. I'm sure most people are the same, with only a small minority remaining anonymous to be walts and trolls.