PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Demonstrated X wind a pointless figure ?
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2016, 17:42
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BoeingBoy

But this is the problem and maybe why I posted this topic for discussion. The FM is full of limiting speeds which are accurately worked out with a margin of safety built in.

I am sure most of us have seen pilots who are not the best in the world drop the gear above its extension speed or put flaps in above their extension or retraction speeds?

Nothing happens because the manufacturers accept human error and allow a margin

Demonstrated is not a limiting number and very unscientific. You might as well pick it out of a hat.

I cannot remember off hand what the Seneca Five demonstrated was but probably around 15 KTS I know the reality is around 38 KTS direct steady crosswind a huge difference.

Why not like any other limiting speed work it out put in a safety margin and have that as a realistic limiting speed rather than letting pilots work out their own because some test pilot says he has demonstrated the aircraft in 5 KTS 10 KTS 15 KTS etc its meaningless.

I also cannot see how a demonstrated figure could be used in a court of law as a limiting figure because even in the manual its described as demonstrated and in no way limiting which most figures are?

No manufacturer is going to stand in court and claim this figure as a limiting figure which the pilot exceeded.

What are you going to do in a court of law? argue whether the pilot is below average, average or a top gun ? or divert because the given wind is 16 KTS instead of 15KTS ?

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 5th Feb 2016 at 17:59.