PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Road trip part 2 - Santa Monica to Calgary
Old 5th Feb 2016, 16:40
India Four Two

Received 75 Likes on 46 Posts
Day 12 - Bellingham to Wenatchee

Thanks for the encouragement, D9.

Before I continue with my trip to see the N6, here's a great video of Mike explaining the history of the PACV and the amusing story of how he acquired it. I once imported a glider from the US to Canada and I know from personal experience, that showing up at Customs without the right paperwork is not to be recommended!

"We're US Customs. Everything's got a value!"

I met Belinda and Mike at the appointed location on the outskirts of Bellingham and they took me to a field with this rather forlorn, dismantled SR.N6 sitting in it:

A very nostalgic moment for me, because I had traveled on this craft when it was operating on the Southsea-Ryde service. However, this craft has a unique claim to fame. It was the one that was taken to South America for a National Geographic expedition that went up the Amazon, through the Casiquiare Canal and down the Orinoco (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casiquiare_canal).

There is a description of the journey in the obituary of Graham Clarke, who was the captain for that trip: Graham Clarke - Telegraph

I could only find two pictures. This one:

and then of all things, a Typhoo Tea card (I had completely forgotten about those):

I have been unable to find the documentary of that trip online. If anyone knows where it might be, please PM me.*

I have just found this video, where Mike is describing the N6:

Mike is trying to raise funds and logistical support to move his N6 from Washington to the Hovercraft Museum in the UK. A very worthwhile project for such a historic hovercraft. If anyone can help or can contribute, please PM me and I will put them in touch with Mike.

I then left Bellingham, to meet Belinda's daughter, who just happened to manage an aircraft museum! Then a trip to Whidbey Island to pass the time and see a Catalina, before an early-evening appointment to see a Tiger Moth and a Queen Bee! A busy and very eclectic AH&N day. Pictures to follow.

* I've just found some spectacular footage -see 42:50 in this video:

Last edited by India Four Two; 6th Feb 2016 at 01:25.