PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The MS Windows 10 upgrade experience thread.
Old 5th Feb 2016, 15:22
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
I was thinking of starting such a thread but I know nowt about tablets. The Rivetess in Texas has just loaded 10 on a diddy laptop that used to have W7 Starter on it. It seems to be obeying her, but then, it wouldn't dare do anything else.

About Two weeks of my life has vanished due to 10 tricking me into loading. Get Now, Load Later. A bare faced lie - well, not quite. It downloaded and immediately started 'Preparing'. Pulled the plug on it first time, but then let it have its way second go. "You can load it later, but you only get one date. Tell us now or load the damn thing." Words to that effect. They know, we all know, we do not have a clue when we'll have those hours to set aside. Btards.

So, it was with a heavy heart I loaded 10. I'd played with it on a spare laptop. Not too bad, thinks I. It'll work, thinks I. Yes it will, and while it does so it will be sucking bits of your soul from your very being.

FireFox rewrite stuff. Kaspersky gets caught by this and the two major players seem to spar for a while and then get an old bloke in Essex to help them spread the word - to Barclays. Rubbish? I got two lots of 25 quid for my efforts. Most of that energy went into making Barclays believe me.

Skype, on which I rely, is being blamed by Kasper for the light blue screen of death I keep getting. Kasper sent me the soft to have a look at my PC's inner workings. They really did put a lot of effort into seeking out anything that's not gelling in this wondrous world of 10.

GooGoo and MS now know more about me than I know about myself. Well, that must be exciting for them, but I've just turned off Cortana's 5 settings that have her knowing my innermost secrets. I'll stop there as it's kind of a family forum.

I'm kind of frustrated that I can't get far with hold down Shift + Restart. It seems to get to the exciting bit I have to have qualifications that I, even as the builder and OS loader, am not privy to. I hate when that happens.

All in all, I imagine W10 will be masterable by geeks. I used to love all this stuff, but now all I want is for the machine to work and not go into secret routines when I access certain sites.

Of all the barmy things I've read this PM is their learning from the monitoring of our keystrokes is for our own good. It will help them in their subservience.

No, it's called spying - at best - and we want you to STOP IT. Oh, apart from one spotty little chap in Southend that rather likes it.