PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR Into IMC Training?
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2016, 05:29
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you saying Leadie that you HAVEN'T trained your student well and they can't perform a turn-back successfully? Surely they didn't all "crash" out of your hand-over in IMC straight away and in less than a minute??? Are we talking Raa, GFPT or PPL?
S7700,
I didn't set out to train them to turn back, not required and not possible in the time available --- if you actually understand the problem. I taught them, very thoroughly, to not get into the situation in the first place.

I don't know the numbers, 50-60 maybe, but not one, having done the "under the hood" stuff as required by the syllabus, and standards, (all PPL) not one lasted more than 70sec., mostly around 30-35 sec., in the real world. As a matter of interest, not mentioned in previous post, whether I flew the aircraft into the Cu, and said "handing over", or the candidate flew into the cloud, the time to loss of control was not materially different.

Aircraft involved, mostly PA-28 or C-150/152/172/182.

I too learned to fly in UK, where the weather is often rather inclement, but it is horses for courses, your chances of surviving a VMR into IMC is minimal --- if you are a VFR only pilot in either place.

(although I note it was mentioned above that their crash rate is high)
Who told you that?? The reverse is true, and something over 50% of PPLs in the US have an instrument rating, because the FAA make it much easier.

Meanwhile, CASA have screwed the PIFR, it will probably fade away.

One of the "big things" about proper instrument training is you get to really understand the critical value of recency ---- and stay in severe clear (so to speak) when you know, because of your training, that you are not current.

That is the whole point, training to not get into trouble in the first place, not being competent to extract yourself from trouble, having first demonstrated your incompetence in getting into trouble.

Overall, 15 years ago, the Australian GA accident rate was about double the US, thanks to the redoubled efforts of CASA (remember Einstein's definition of lunacy, continuing to do the same thing, over and over again, and expecting a different outcome) at "safety by enforcement", "Black Letter L-A-W","Capital R regulation, "we are policemen" etc., our accident rate is now around three times the US rate.

Sadly, all entirely predictable, better to educate to not "commit the offense" in the first place.

As to whoever wants to split hairs about "accident" versus "occurrence", aeroplane landed in paddock, precautionary landing, minor aircraft damaged --, bent prop, damaged nose gear, --- I will leave it to you to determine the classification under the relevant Act.

Tootle pip!!