PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Dumbing down" RAF Officers?
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2016, 23:28
Danny42C

Better Late than Never !

Wrathmonk (your #102),
...Come on Danny42C - lets get this tradition back to the 40's!..
First, I must apologise for this tardy reply, but the Thread deals in matters beyond my ken, at least as '41-'46 is concerned, and it is only by chance that I have looked at it now. I was Elevated to the Peerage in '43 in this way (extracts from my Post p.131 #2612 on "Pilot's Brevet" - "Danny has Greatness thrust upon Him"):
... It seemed to us that the Dominion Governments had decided on a policy to commission all their Sergeant-Pilots in India. As a Briton, I was the odd man out.

Up to then, I'd been quite content to remain an NCO. I'd been a bit disappointed when I got my wings without even having been considered for a commission. But I'd settled down and, had I stayed in the UK, would have hoped, had I lived (more than doubtful), to rise to Flight Sergeant (one year) and Warrant Officer (two years) on time promotion. But this latest business seemed most unfair.

I went to see the C.O. "Why not ?" he said wearily, "Everybody else is getting it - I'll put you up" (my misdemeanour at Dum-Dum seemed to have been forgiven). It was a formality from then on. I was called for interview with the AOC of 221 Group in Calcutta, a kindly old AVM (Williams, I think), He satisfied himself that I didn't drop my aitches, and could probably use a knife and fork, and signed me in. Thus are careers made.... ........OCTU ?........ What's that?..
As we had neither dining tables, decanters nor Port in Burma, there was no problem.

Taking refuge from civil life in '49, I returned to the RAF. From then on till '72, as far as I remember, out of sight of top table, we slithered the decanter along (less chance of dropping it that way !)

Danny42C.

Last edited by Danny42C; 5th Feb 2016 at 01:15. Reason: Spell !