PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Dumbing down" RAF Officers?
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2016, 19:32
Startrek3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having recently done a bit of research into degree schemes for a friend's son who wants to pursue a career in military aviation and wants to get a degree, I was surprised to find that whilst the academic syllabi at Sandhurst and Dartmouth are now 'accredited' towards a bachelors (and I believe Sandhurst are looking to allow graduates to gain credits towards a masters) the current course at Cranwell is deemed too 'short' to gain any form of accreditation - and they are looking to shorten it even further! Given our seniors are pushing the mantra of developing a force that is capable of 'thinking to win' whilst at the same time trying to recruit bright, capable individuals, this seems nonsensical to me and any reduction in content smacks of dumbing down. Having seen another family friend go through the old 'new' course a couple of years ago I certainly felt that the academic part was a vast improvement on my day when the syllabus consisted of a bunch of retired Flt Lt's talking about what it was like 'during the war'. Hence with a little bit of effort on the part of the RAF it could have provided junior RAF officers with the same career enhancing opportunities as their army and navy counterparts.

I also recall from my other half's time at Shrivenham that, more often than not, the army and navy studes were often more academically adept than their light blue counterparts (which is one of the reasons the academic syllabus was enhance in the first place iirc).