PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter Crash at Shoreham Airshow
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2016, 18:40
LlamaFarmer

Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
I disagree but, even if what you say was correct, in this instance there is not some vague theoretical risk. We know that there is an ongoing police investigation which might lead to a prosecution.

Your idea of "logic", not mine. There is a theoretical risk but it is highly unlikely that many, if any, potential jurors read AAIB reports.
AAIB findings are not used nor referred to in criminal trials.

Given that PPRuNe is widely known as, and often referred to in the media as, a 'professional pilots forum' I believe we have a corresponding responsibility to behave responsibly. More weight is likely to be attached to what is posted here than in some enthusiasts'/spotters' forum.
What about for trials of well publicised crime reported in the media and discussed in forums everywhere.

It is unavoidable for the jury to be unaware of what is reported, it is for them to remain impartial and consider only what goes on inside the courtroom, and not to seek information from external sources.

You cannot silence the public and take away their liberties... just ensure a fair trial and a verdict based on fair hearing, not what is or isn't in the public domain