PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter Crash at Shoreham Airshow
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2016, 17:07
airsound

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
PN - you wrote
AFAIK there is no central organisation of display directors though I imagine there is informal discussion between organizers of good displays and bad ones, good pilots and bad (and speaking from experience I am not referring to their flying - no names no pack drill). In the military it will probably be boss to boss. In the civie world a dry up of bookings.
Perish the thought, but I think you may be a bit behind the times. The British Air Display Association (BADA) includes amongst its members most flying display directors (FDDs). Next week BADA holds its pre-season symposium, in conjunction with the CAA and the Military Aviation Authority (MAA). The post-Shoreham situation and what the CAA is doing about it will undoubtedly take up much of the two days of the symposium, and FDDs will be expecting to learn a lot about how things are going to be in future.

Your idea of military bosses whispering hints in each other's shell-likes is also a little out of date. The MAA is deeply involved in air show safety, and military display flying is regulated in minute detail.

In any case, although there are formally-constituted military display teams - and they appear at shows of all kinds - there are almost no military air shows left in the UK. Last year there was only one RAF air show, and that was Cosford. There was also RIAT - run by the RAF Charitable Trust, but it does come under MAA's aegis. And there were also, of course, the Navy shows at Yeovilton and Culdrose.

airsound

Last edited by airsound; 4th Feb 2016 at 21:03. Reason: adding in the Navy