PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BELFAST AIRPORT INTERNATIONAL
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2016, 15:17
SecondDog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cuthere
Scathing or brutally honest? BFS is tired, run down, dark and I don't find it particularly welcoming. When Burgerking is the highlight of an airport, you know there's an issue.

There is no conflict in what I say at all. As private enterprises, if one fails then it will be eaten by capitalist reality. If one survives, it will thrive within its capacity to do so - and should be let to.

As an example, I'm sure Bangor would love to have the same urban economy as Belfast, and it will strive to do its best, but effectively it can try all it likes. It can't compete. Exactly the same with all, one or none of the NI airports vs Dublin. The only currently non-viable, non-profit making airport in NI is LDY. The other two are bimbling along in their respective niches. That's as good as it'll get for some time, and it's about time people woke up to that reality.
Scathing - because it is opinion rather than fact you give, which is biased by your own experience. No problem there - that is your right. But to continually tell people that they have to 'wake up and accept' what you say as truth is where I have to hold the hand up and say 'pardon me?'

You say if an enterprise fails it should be allowed to but I repeat that it not neccessarily the case in NI aviation and the idea that both airports are ticking along nicely doesn't quite ring true to me given the high level of debt that is involved.

Your example of Urban economy is a good one but you are looking at it from a whole. Within each economy are competing markets e.g. a fish shop in Bangor doesn't have to close because there is a bigger fish shop in Belfast, it just has to do its best to retain its local customers and do the odd deal to get a Belfast customer or two. But the town council should realise that there isn't room for two Bangor fish shops, one of which is only really fit for a niche customer base. And its councillors definitely shouldn't favour the niche shop just because it is beside the council chamber.....

If anyone needs woken up, it is the folk on the hill....