PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mentoring new FO's and Captains
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2016, 13:06
Yaw String

Location: Nirvana..HAHA..just kidding but,if you can tell me where it is!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMHO one successful way of describing our primary objective in aviation is as "Energy managers"
This not only applies to the overall control of the aircraft,in every phase of a flight,as in "are we correctly configured now,or in the near future,to handle what is about to occur" be it taxiing out in adverse conditions,(flaps,engine anti ice),or about to traverse an area of CB activity,(turbulence penetration speed,weather radar monitoring,pitch attitude and N1 for level flight)..use of improved climb takeoff performance with gusting tailwind,etc...(not much runway left for the stopping case).

Today,more than ever before,it applies to managing and monitoring the energy,..good,or bad,..of the passengers,too.....a very reactive,social media-savvy captive audience..
It still dismays me that we hear very little from the cockpit of some large airlines,when longer that normal delays occur,during taxi for takeoff..or after passing through violent wake on departure,arrival or enroute..

You may successfully land your craft,with serious defects,...however,the passengers perception of what you have just done, will determine how they tweet,Twitter,Pprune to the World....
Passenger energy is now a very important subject,in my opinion,which,if mishandled,can cause your airline serious damage...
Just remember,what you say in your PA can and will be used for,or against you,and you can bet your bottom dollar that someone will record it,and put it out there..
To quote.."We don't want to die".... I think cabin staff will also be more included in this skill as time goes by, as they are the often poorly treated face of the airline....sorry...rambling off subject!