PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Coffs Harbour Chipmunk Crash
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2016, 09:43
roundsounds

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Dora-9
But it is there, Roundy! Appendix A is an extract from the Aviation Safety Digest No.22, which is the identical text to TNS 142.

I'm appalled to read though that some instructors were apparently teaching incorrect techniques.
Yes, you and I know the text is the same but it appears the ATSB do not know of TNS142. A pretty important document relating to the investigation? I doubt they even know it exists?
I'm also appalled at the standard of instruction but not surprised. Ask the average flying instructor what they teach for spin recovery, most say apply opposite rudder and some form of elevator input. No mention of throttle or aileron input. They were likely taught and teach entry from a power off, wings level state of flight and don't understand how people inadvertently enter a spin. I would suspect high power and a fist full of aileron in an attempt to counter the roll during the spin entry - like this poor fellow flicking of the top of a loop or a stall in a climbing turn after takeoff or a beat-up.