PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Demonstrated X wind a pointless figure ?
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2016, 08:27
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are times when the male of the species feels challenged and rather than decking the challenger, throws his toys out of the pram and stalks off in a huff. As we were discussing crosswind limits in this thread, it reminds me of a very very strong wind day at the gliding club. The pilot who had actually introduced me to the art of airtowing gliders with my Supercub, was flying on this day. Watching from the sidelines with alarm, I saw him landing on the crosswind runway, with the towrope attached, scooting over to the next glider, and taking off. With great skill and experience, of course.

The crosswind limits for my PA18 Supercub in the pilot's operating handbook state the limits as 10 miles an hour.

So concerned for my precious Cub, after its next hairy arrival on the crosswind runway, I went over and tapped on his window. Could you possibly, I suggested, land on the intowind runway? you can always drop the towrope first...."

Said he "If you don't like the way I fly it, you can take over! ! ! ! !" so saying he yanked his headset out of the panel, climbed out and stalked off, never to be seen again that day. Ooops!

So I climbed into my beloved Cub, hooked up to the next glider, and took off. After he was away, I dropped the rope in a safe place, and landed on the intowind run. At an airspeed of 40 knots, we were STATIONAIRY OVER THE GROUND. Forget this for a mugs game, I know when to quit! So I didn't even TRY to turn and taxi back, just sat there in the way, until enough heavy manly bodies showed up to push the Supercub backwards into the hangar. If anybody wanted a launch after that, they had to go up the wire.