PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying and gusts
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2016, 07:37
rnzoli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also a low hour pilot here and I have these in mind:
- I don't deliberately look for gusty conditions, the gusty conditions find me anyway
- no passengers on board in known gust conditions nearing my personal demonstrated limits
- extra fuel on board for alternatives or multiple landing attempts
- one challenge at a time: intended runway should be sufficiently wide and long enough to be considered easy for normal weather
- first approach is always a teaser, just to see how much I can keep it stabilized, and I may actually land also, but that's just a bonus
- manifold pressure not lower than 10 HgIn, so that the engine will respond faster for my quick throttle advance in sheer panic
- cameleon eyes - one eye glued to airspeed indicator, while the other does the regular work (= quick glances between the instruments and outside view)
- my approach profile is more shallow, with higher power setting and speed till the threshold, then I do a pre-flare after passing the threshold, to bleed off the excess (AIR!)speed, then I let it down firmly with only a short flare (some call that an "arrival", not a "landing", but a safe arrival is my preference over a nice landing attempt resulting in a runway excursion)
- maximum patience and absolutely NO pressure to land, if I need 2-3 circuits, it's all fine, as long as the approaches are getting better - the wind might be giving me a break during one of my attempts and let me land nice and smooth.

So far it worked.