PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wrist fusion due inflammatory arthritis
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2016, 00:56
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
For most of my life I've taken old wives' tales with the proverbial pinch of salt, but just lately I've wondered more and more what turns the body onto itself and feel there just might be a simple but obscure cause.

I have friends who's life has been all but ruined from 60 onwards by arthritic problems, while others still sail in cold conditions while soaking wet, yet seem fine as they head towards 80 years of age. There has to be a reason, but vast research worldwide does not seem to have produced results. What is certain is that many will not try radical diets. I suppose they simply dismiss them as simplistic folk remedies.

Recently there was a flurry of excitement when it was suggested that bacteria in the mouth and throat was showing a statistical link to autoimmune inflammation. So many false leads, but who knows. No one anticipated the helicobacter pylori - ulcer link.

Many years ago Time magazine did a front page article about inflammation. My astonishment at the complexity of the subject caused me to take an interest since that time. Quite by chance this week my wife called from the US and mentioned 'Oil pulling'. Such an odd name and usually associated with dental problems, but now, so it is said, can be linked to an improvement in arthritic problems. It piqued my interest. There's certainly a lot written about the dental side, but nothing but brief headlines on the global inflammation side.

If I can find the link again I'll post it, but it was well written and the science seemed reasonably logical.