PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia Psychometric Testing
Old 3rd Feb 2016, 22:21
Aipgen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phone Interview

Congrats KS92, good job so far, and also to iinii for making the cut!

Here my experience of the phone interview:

Was called by a HR person, who gave a brief intro to the structure of the interview.
This was followed by 2 questions regarding the ATC role.
Then I had 3 behavioural style questions, where I had to draw on examples from past experiences.
The questions were fair and relevant, and you have the opportunity to promote yourself. Make the most of it!
For anyone preparing, I would suggest focusing on what you believe to be core aspects of the job.
Be practical in answering questions, and be SPECIFIC with your examples. Do not rely on vague descriptions or generalisations in your responses (which I am a little guilty of).
Also, don't bulls**t, as HR will smell it through the phone.
My interview went for about 28 min, but that was due to me rambling on a fair bit. I suggest NOT to do this, but keep to the point and get the message across. KISS.
If any further elaboration is required, HR will ask you for it.
If you stick to 2-3min answers the interview will be over in 20 min.

After the q&a session, the interviewer gave me a brief rundown of what happens next. Result of phone interview are to be notified via email in a week. I was also advised that not many make it to the assessment centre, and even fewer beyond. I'll take that as a subtle hint, and await my results with a dose of healthy pessimism.

You then have a quick minute or two to ask questions of your own (such as "Did I pass?").

This stage of the recruitment process is certainly one you CAN fail at, and therefore demands attention, in my view. However, with decent prep work the likelihood of stuffing it up completely is reduced, because you can target the areas being addressed.

DISCLAIMER: I'm no HR professional or interview expert, nor do I purport to know what ASA is looking for. These are simply my observations of the interview I had, and my personal opinions based on past experiences. I hope they will be useful to others.

Good luck everyone!

Last edited by Aipgen; 9th Feb 2016 at 23:03. Reason: Update