PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The different airlines at Cathay
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2016, 15:10
jonathon68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Groan. Oh..OK I will bite.

Get some time in...

In my early years on the 777, our rosters had all the current issues that some (not all) of the Airbus guys are now whinging about.

In summary the 777 during the early to mid 2000's featured
- Grossly unproductive rosters generating only 60-70 hours credit hours per month.
- Never more than the minimum 7 days off in 28.
- Plenty of DHL red-eye flying to SIN, KIX, ICN etc.
- Plenty of Split duties, regional PX, Sim Crew-ups
- Lot's of time sitting in hotels far from home. I fondly remember the times in BKK, BOM, PEN etc. But there was not much to do in ICN, NRT, TPE etc for 30+ hours in winter. I had a young family at the time and that wasted time away from home was really painful. These were the days before free Wi-Fi, whats-app and face-time. During that period my 744 and Airbus mates had little sympathy for me.

The most sought after 777 trip in those times was the Bahrain-Riyadh triangle over 3 or 4 days, simply because it generated some credit. Alternatively the 2 crew HKG-BAH-DXB and return pattern was also relatively productive. They were the most popular requests!

I didn't complain, largely because I was desperate for a change after doing Relief on the 744 back over much of 18th century. Also, we had a CP (IW) who was a real "leader" and was one of very few CX Pilot Managers who has been worth following.

Times change.

Before my time there were bitter disputes between Crew over the Convair lifestyle and pay etc versus 707 and then subsequently the Tri-motor versus 747. Previous generations fought the good fight and ensured that we now enjoy "common jet salary".

While we now have a single salary for each fleet, significant overtime pay etc periodically falls into the hands of a few who are in the right place (rank/fleet etc) at the right time. This will always be the way. Currently I may be the "king of the castle", but a year or two from now this will switch to another pilot on another fleet. The best of luck to him!

Regarding the mob who craw "the 777 never had it so bad as the Airbus has it now..".

Number 1. Get some time in.
Number 2. Grow up and stop focusing on your self.
Number 3. I recommend that you join the AOA and start to consider the role, hopes, and contractual position of others outside your own narrow focus..