PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Has pilot training got its knickers in a twist?
Old 3rd Feb 2016, 13:32
parkfell

de minimus non curat lex

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MPL

Just picking up on something Alex said in post#3 that it is more difficult to move on to a new employer/type as a CPL (MPL) holder.

I don't think that this is necessarily correct. No more difficult than any other "normal" CPL holder. Once the licence is issued with the initial MP type rating, the MPL training phase is complete. Normal line training now follows.

All that is now necessary for a new ac would be for that type rating course to be successfully completed. And unlike the initial type rating the TRIs / TREs do not need to be qualified as a MPL instructor.

With the necessary experience gained, the ATPL can be issued in due course.

The only issue would be if say a FI rating was ever contemplated due to lack of single pilot experience at licence issue stage.

What I would like to know is why a minimum of 12 T/Os and landings are required for the base training as oppose to the normal six. It has been suggested that the draft version had 12 ( a number plucked from the sky) and when the final approved version appeared they "forgot" to change it to six? What is the justification for this? They have more experience of heavier ac than those following the traditional route.
This adds considerable cost, and is in my view unnecessary. If more than six circuits are required, so be it.