PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 Single engine & use of Autopilot.
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2016, 13:16
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jwscud. Thanks for the info:

In practice, on real world two engine go arounds I have seen the autopilot engaged early to reduce workload as often as I've flown or seen them flown manually.

Indeed I was in a 3B airline. The Wx was foul, hence a G/A. No radar, very low MAA level off, other traffic about and I wanted to execute a G/A routing different to standard due TS. The A/P went in at 400'agl and we cleaned up; went to a Hold in clear air and considered our options. Afterwards, with time, the youngish F/O expressed astonishment that the A/P worked and how easy it made the whole situation. He truly thought it was not allowed.
Spoke to a friend flying for a 3B operator who made a G/A in CIA RW33 after a circle. No radar at CIA (it is at FCO) and a very complicated G/A with low level MAA. He told me it was scary chaos as CIA was shouting to demand the reason for G/A. The crew was trying to establish exactly where ATC wanted them to go for a 2nd attempt, which frequency they should use, all the while F/O was manually flying the a/c and trying to command clean up. Ouch.