PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bombardier offers majority stake in C Series to Airbus
Old 3rd Feb 2016, 13:12
striker26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The new engine technology on the C-Series is a huge advancement, it is a very nice plane, that if brought to the market earlier, could've gained traction over the MRJ and the new EMB. Now the MRJ has similar orders and will definitely have an advantage in the Asian market and EMB is still the front runner globally.

Past few years airlines have invested heavily in the 737 and a320, the market for regional jets will still be there to cater to routes that dont require 737/a320 capacities, but unfortunately everyone will get a piece of a small pie. My friend who works at Bombardier said they are basically selling the aircraft at or below cost. Now, before i jump ahead, i am aware that every manufacturer does this because the money is not the in the retail price, but the supply chain profits earned over the life of each aircraft.

When you have Airbus and Boeing selling hundreds to just one airline, they will break even due to volume - you can't say the same for Bombardier. This is their first non-rear mounted airplane fitted with brand new engine technology. It has had a ton of R&D pumped into it, without orders it will take years at this order rate for them to realize profits.

In my opinion, while Bombardier was pushing the market for CRJ's and EMB their EJets, they should've began the C-Series project then, instead they waited too long (filed lawsuits against EMB over unfair competition lol). I am glad not to be a Quebec resident