PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emergency landing
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2016, 12:57
nigelh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate to disappoint you two but I don't think you make a case . 5 or 6 accidents over nearly 40 years almost all without injury ......AND you had to troll around at spraying accidents which I'm afraid are not the same . We were talking about flying 20-30ft over known good terrain ( which is what that guy was doing ) ..... Not flying 4ft above the ground in a fully MAUW crop sprayer with huge booms out each side flying often over very difficult terrain !!
So we still , over 40 years , cannot find loads of incidents where people have crashed and/or been hurt . I don't advocate blindly flying in the curve , in many instances a decent landing would be impossible ( say hovering downwind at 100ft for instance ) . I have now spoken to my best flying gurus and all of them agree with my stance . There are so many daft things people do and you have to pick on the most innocuous of the lot !! You keep bringing up instances of flying that were definitely not safe .... And I agree with you . I will not however agree that low level flying ( not 4ft or 6ft ...but for sake of argument 20-40 ft and 50-70 knots ). I think we should just agree to disagree on this one ....and like you TC , I have done loads of EOL from exactly this configuration ... I don't think I will be needing a new leg just yet !!
Ps. TC Why no reply to the points about real safety issues in areas that WILL kill you ....such as degrading viz , 180 instrument turns , spatial disorientation etc Surely these areas are far more important than this nonsense about flying at 30ft !!!! I can assure you we can find loads of instances where people have died in these scenarios and we don't even need Sid to go back 40 years .

Last edited by nigelh; 3rd Feb 2016 at 13:27.