PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying and gusts
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2016, 12:38
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's why you bleed the headwind/gust factor off over the threshold
It was a warning that some pilots will take the given surface wind and gust factor and use that on the approach which may not be enough for the shear experienced at 500 or 1000 feet
obviously you have to come back to a determined speed on landing

We also have to consider the 1.3 times the stall in a given configuration. That is a figure that should give enough energy with a closed throttle to transition from a descent profile to the flare so that you touchdown at or near the stall. Important for published stopping distance

If you fly the aircraft on then you could fly on with a speed with a greater margin over the stall and effectively have more control authority and more residual energy above the stall for surface shear

Flying on is far easier with an aircraft with a greater distance between the nose wheel and mains as a few degrees pitch will keep the nose wheel clear

I often refer to a Citation incident at Edinburgh where a Pilot I know who had control problems who touched down and successfully stopped with I believe tyres intact at a radar estimated 193KTS, 100KTS above the normal landing speed and above the tyre limiting speeds.
I place this to show how little relevance the stall is to landing an aircraft other than the obvious shortest landing distance etc
An extreme example maybe but just to make a point

https://assets.digital.cabinet-offic...JBIZ_01-10.pdf

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 3rd Feb 2016 at 13:35.