PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR Into IMC Training?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2016, 09:56
ForkTailedDrKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well done FTDK but I think you might be that small cohort of pilots who have gotten away with it. The crash comics from the 70's until now are full of PPLs who had the same training, did the same thing and did not survive. Like I said there is no one size fits all for the type of weather that people encounter.
That's a pretty pointless statement isn't it? I didn't make the Crash Comic - nor did most of the other pilots whose basic IF training for their PPL saved their hides.

I have read all of the crash comics from 1972 to about 5 yrs ago when I stopped reading the crap publication that replaced the original Crash Comic. My recollection is that while their are lots of stories about controlled flight into terrain by VFR pilots in IMC, I don't recall too many stories about VFR pilots losing control of the aeroplane in IMC.

I do recall one story about a VFR pilot who, having realised he had screwed up badly, held his C172 in a controlled descent in IMC until he flopped it onto the tree tops in the hills behind the Gold Coast. He and his pax walked away from the wreck.

Dr