PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's happening in CHC?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2016, 09:56
MamaPut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why do some people keep thinking that revenue = profit? Revenue is merely the amount of money a company receives for services or goods sold. Very basically, once expenses are deducted from this, what's left is income, which can be either positive or negative. If the cost of providing a service exceeds revenue, then the company will be making a loss. A gross over-simplification I'm sure, but that basically seems to be it as far as my idiot mind sees it.

I once worked for a company which was taken over by CHC. It was the largest helicopter in the country where it was based and on the operation that I was on, most mornings we had 14 helicopters on the ramp, while the Bristow operation next door had 3 or 4. Within 5 years of CHC taking it over, Bristow had 2 hangars and 15 or 16 helicopters on the ramp and my old company had 3. I saw the writing on the wall within a year of CHC taking over, coming in with a very arrogant attitude and splashing out money on all sorts of things we didn't need, so I left. All the CHC pilots there eventually lost there jobs, but luckily times then were good and they all found other work.

As for smaller operators not taking over contracts from CHC, just look at what happened to CHC in East Africa, where they now have no presence. That happened before the oil price slump. Look at what happened to Bristow and the Shell contract in Nigeria, which was taken over by a local company with just a couple of helicopters.

Nothing in this life is certain, especially in the world of aviation. I have no idea what will happen to CHC, but I have friends who are working for that company in Thailand who have just got redundancy notice having thought they'd be secure there for many more years. Ask the large number of pilots Bristow laid off on the North Sea and in West Africa last year how secure they felt in their jobs 3 or 4 years ago.

I'm sorry to sound gloomy, but I wouldn't bet on anything to do with a helicopter operator whose main business is tied to the oil and gas industry right now.