PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2016, 16:38
LowObservable

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh my.

I find it interesting that given a choice between F-15, F-18, Typhoon, Rafale, Gripen, Su-35, MiG-29 and this overpriced, highly "compromised" F-35, many are choosing the F-35. I guess the folks that have access to the latest test data and test reports as well as reams of classified data, as well as the reports from their own pilots who've flown the plane, are either grossly naive or bought off by LM.

All the partner nations chose the F-35 on the basis of empty promises about price and schedule, at a point (14 years ago) when the principal competitors were immature. Except for Denmark and Canada, they have simply failed to carry out any formal re-evaluation of their requirements or possible alternatives, so they mostly have no idea, beyond what they can pick up open source, of what the competitors can do. Italy and the UK are aware of Typhoon's capabilities, of course, but are have painted themselves into a corner by their carrier-aviation planning.

Korea carried out a rules-based evaluation and picked the F-15SE, a decision that was reversed at the political level. Israel doesn't use its own money, and has (AFAIK) some very specific tasks for the F-35. That leaves Japan, which is spending lots of money to do a lot of work in-country and, strangely enough, is also working on its own stealth fighter.

Last edited by LowObservable; 2nd Feb 2016 at 18:02.