PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR Into IMC Training?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2016, 13:32
sheppey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My point is that we should be looking into defence mechanisms to help prevent VFR pilots getting into IMC.
All these weasel words about `Defence Mechanisms` and `Tools`, are nothing but Mumbo Jumbo. There will always be prangs caused by VFR pilots whether experienced or not, finding themselves inadvertently flying into IMC and ending up killing everyone aboard.

For years and years, CASA and all the other names CASA were before CASA, have published hundreds of pages of very good advice to these people who in the end got killed in IMC when they thought they could just get through a bit of mist and low cloud to fine weather on the other side. All the fine words in the world will not prevent these sort of accidents. Some pilots are wise and see trouble coming as the clouds close in, and they quickly decide to turn back - or better still they don't depart if the forecast gives marginal VMC.

Others blast off and think it won't happen to me. Like hoon drivers they think it won't happen to me. Most car P Platers think exactly the same way. It is human nature. That is why IMHO, instrument flying to a competent standard should be as vital to PPL training as are practice forced landings. Someone mentioned accent on FTD in early training. Best idea ever if VFR into IMC accidents are to be minimised. Minimised, because you will never fully eradicate these sort of accidents.