PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Demonstrated X wind a pointless figure ?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2016, 13:11
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Great post Pace, I heartily agree. It is an unfortunate element that "credentials" of posters can be very difficult to verify, but that is the entitlement of privacy. It is nice the people want to contribute, but sometimes what that person has to offer is more "I think I heard someone I did not know say this once", which may have very little authority. It's nice to see either direct quotes of authoritative information, which is traceable, should someone wish to, or links or references which can be verified.

In this thread, several posters did present a link to support what they are saying. This is very useful, as it informs us all of the fact or background of the topic, and from that we all learn. Further to that, the presentation of fact, which is independently authoritative, removes the need for the poster themselves to have credibility.

One of the more "in your face" aspects of this I have seen, are those stand around discussions which occur in a group of pilots, where expertise about certain aircraft types will begin to flow. Sometimes the topic will involve an aircraft type with which I have familiarity. When I hear mis-information, I like to engage eager speakers by engagingly asking them to tell me about their experiences in flying that type. Too often, I hear back "well... I've never actually flown one...". Okay, now I know the level of authority I should place in that person's opinion of that specific topic.

Here, we welcome pleasant, informative discussion. Learning, and disseminating wisdom are great, when we can do it. Participate at the level you fell comfortable with, but if you are not "authoritative" (and I'm not directing that at anyone, just a general thought), feel free to say "I've never flown one, but...", or, "I'm not an instructor, but...." Etc. And go on with your thought or question, I'm sure everyone here would like you to have the best responses.

It is a certainty that no pilot can have "all the experience", so it is entirely possible that an experienced pilot here, could still have a rather basic question, or mistaken thought on another area of piloting. For example, a poster in this thread I believe flies jets. I never have flown a jet. If that poster speaks jet, I will listen, and perhaps ask for clarification, before I make an error which would show everyone how little I now about flying a jet!

This forum is frequented by some aviators of awesome credential, who, if they were charging for the wisdom they offer here, would be charging by the hour many times what an instructor would charge. I know this, because I have personally met a number of these frequent, and much appreciated posters, and learned a lot from them myself.

Ultimately, it is up to you, the reader, to think about what you read here, and do your own research to verify it, and thus add it to your knowledge. If you feel that you cannot publicly verify it, then PM the person - politely please, and ask for clarification. If your motives of learning ore genuine, I'm sure their reply will be too....