PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fly in Spain Jerez - personal review PPL training
Old 2nd Feb 2016, 11:52
roland23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello, I did the IFR last year at Fly in Spain and you might be interested in my (bad) experience:

Location / Facility:
Direct at the airport, with 5 min. walking distance. It is a small school with a meeting room, 2-3 class rooms and two briefing pc. You need a rental car for Jerez or to a hotel, but the rental was very cheap.

They have also a FNTP II Simulator. Unfortunatley, it never worked properly (massive pitch control outages). Any requests to fix it has been promised but never performed (and the teachers told me that it was the case since many months).

The only restaurant in the area is in the airport. There is beverage machine at the school, but not always working.

Based on some troubles they caused at the end of my training (see below), it looks like that Fly in Spain is not an ATO as the official documents has been signed by a Punitz flight school in Austria.

Airplanes:
My training should have been on two fully IFR equipped C172. The aircrafts were quite old and not well maintained (valid for interior and equipment; outside was ok). There was never (during 3 months with a break) an aircraft available which had both, precious and non-precious, working nav. instruments on board. Any escalation from the teacher and me to the head of back office and to the CEO did not change it (again, the promised it, but it has not been fixed). This is definitely also an issue, when you have the IFR exam flight, with no ADF on board and the airport DME has an outage (my experience…)

Teachers / training:
I saw 4 teachers from Germany, Spain and England, one was an IFR examiner. The two I had, were nice and very competent.

I got a private ground and flight training, both with good inctructions leading to an early success / practial exam. Afterwards, I had to pass an IFR voice exam in Switerzland (also EASA) and realised that the short radio instruction with Jerez and Sevilla was never enough for general IFR flights. So, I had to pay a lot for an additional voice course in Switzerland.

Services:
Good news was that they accepted a testimonial of my german CATS theory (they use the UK one), but I had to pay a 3 figures ‘admin fee’. They were also very flexible with the immediate start date of my training.

You have to pay a part in advance and will get the same day a reminder from the CEO or teacher if you have a negative balance. So, you might consider first a bank transfer to avoid the credit card charges.

After I passed the exam, they did not send my documents to me or to the government. Several request to the head of back office and CEO were not answered. After two months and an additional escalation, the found the document at Punitz flight school in Austra. Afterwards, they sent it to a location in SWEDEN instead of Switzerland. Again, no response from the head of back office or from the CEO after my request to fix it . Finally, I got the documents after 3 months and 'of course', the document were not complete…..

Summary of my experience :
It might be a cheap training and you will get professional instructors. However, do not expect well maintained aircrafts or ground equipment and definitely not any services you would expect as an customer who just has spent 10'000 Euros.

Roland