PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Demonstrated X wind a pointless figure ?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2016, 11:45
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everyone has a contribution to make and even the best make mistakes in something they say.

Not everything posted in these forums is fact some doesn't really matter other mistakes can be dangerous if taken as fact by other pilots especially the more novice.

That is the dilemma as if the more knowledgeable note that mistake and rectify it there is always the risk of hurt egos, retaliation and defensiveness which can quickly all become very personal.

On the internet we often do not know who we are talking to, who they are or what their credentials are.

I used to be involved in home flight simulators and some development of third party add ons.

Like in real world flying forums there were active forums which were also anonymous and you really did not know who you were talking too.

I remember only too well one poster who posted under the guise of being a 747 Captain and did so for some time . He wrote with authority and to be honest added a lot to the forums with the mass of technical detail he contributed until one day there was a glaring mistake which got us all thinking that no way was this guy even a pilot.

He turned out to be a 12 year old kid who adored the adoration his guise created and he was a master at googling and adapting information he googled to appear like his own writing.

Ok he was found out but did he contribute? Yes he did as he put so much work into keeping that guise going and actually added a lot of technical information to many in the process.

I am not for one minute putting CH in that category but pointing out that we all have a contribution whatever our real life backgrounds and its a shame if anyone leaves because of a damaged ego or many of us would have gone a long time ago me included We all probably know who the real deals are the ones to listen too and they in turn have a duty to correct inaccurate information especially stuff which could be dangerous

Pace