PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR Into IMC Training?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2016, 09:31
Lookleft

Received 195 Likes on 90 Posts
FWIW I used to expose all my students to real IMC nearing the completion of their training.
I think that is a very practical demonstration of what happens when the limits of a VFR PPL are pushed then exceeded. I think the real problem however is the decision making process and how to avoid getting oneself into the gloop. How that is taught and reinforced is open for discussion but it has taken over 20 years for Non-Technical Skills to be included in sim checks in the airlines. I remember going to the last CASA pilots workshop in 2006 where a VFR into IMC accident was discussed. It is still happening however so the message is not being heeded or something else is occurring. For my money it is the fact that the decision making process is flawed. I agree with this statement:

Pilots have lots of tools available now days to help them make the right decisions before flight in order to make a decision to go or not, or delay.
but the lid of the tool box is not being opened. Lets get the info out there as to what is in the tool box and how they are used. On another point I have noticed that the age group of a lot of the fatal accidents is in the middle to upper middle age range. Is that significant in regards to decision making? I don't know, maybe its just that there are not a lot of younger recreational pilots around anymore. Additional IFR training is expensive and you need to remain current. Learning about human factors and NTS in the cockpit can be learnt on the ground and practised every time you go flying.