PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emergency landing
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2016, 00:59
SilsoeSid

Purveyor of Egg Liqueur to Lucifer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
I stand by what I say . Flying low level on well known home turf is not " dangerous " .

I ask again are you aware of any accident ever happening from engine failure flying low level on home turf over safe flat terrain that you know well ??
Does the Norfolk Pavehawk crash count? Oh and the Coln McRae crash report makes good reading on this topic.

And there's this;
"Although the pilot was familiar with the airstrip and was aware of the location of the powerlines, research by the ATSB has shown that an awareness of powerline location does not guarantee avoidance."
http://www.havarikommissionen.dk/ima...vel_flying.pdf

You seem fixated on the only danger being wires or engine failures, there are many other factors that are out there just waiting for you, such as;

Agusta A109C, N109TK
Near Kew Bridge.
While cruising at 150 kt at 750 ft agl a bird struck and shattered the left windshield. The commander, seated in the left seat, suffered minor injuries so the co-pilot took control and made a successful emergency landing.

Aerospatiale/Westland SA 341G Gazelle
Summary:
The pilot, was undertaking a helicopter flight with a passenger, in gusty wind conditions. He was seen flying slowly, at a low level, near a chalet he owned in the grounds of an hotel when the aircraft was seen to spin around, before pitching up and falling to the ground, fatally injuring the two occupants.