PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airborne Nuclear Weapons incidents
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2016, 00:56
PrivtPilotRadarTech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes Roadster280, I was stationed on top of Mt Tamalpias. There is still a radar there, but now it's an automated FAA radar. When I first got there we shared the site with the army, they used our radar data for those Nike missiles. Visitors to the San Francisco area can check out that Nike missile site at the Marin Headlands State Park. They also have a 16" gun on display, from the WWII era. If you visit, check that out, and also Angel Island. They had a Nike site out there too, with notches cut out of the hillside to fire at Ruskie bombers coming in from the NW.

One more funny nuke story, distantly related to Flapjackmuncher's tale. My dad refueled nuclear subs at Mare Island. They found half a booty IN THE REACTOR VESSEL. The refueling operation was halted while they searched for the OTHER HALF. This is all very expensive and embarrassing. After a few days of desperate searching, they find another HALF A BOOTY. It is compared with the first half. Does not match. <brief pause> Success is declared, on with the refueling.

For another unbelievable screwup, see the USS Guitarro. The sinking part. I don't know how we survived the Cold War.