PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emergency landing
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2016, 22:46
SilsoeSid

Purveyor of Egg Liqueur to Lucifer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
Nigel, I have never 'played the military card' on pprune and those that know me will tell you that I don't play that mil/civ game of yours.

As for trying to humiliate people with your view of their lack of knowledge and get personal . I only quote what is said, so if you say something incorrect or simply ridiculous then of course people 'like me' will pick up on it. (thought you said you enjoy the banter) That is how we prevent the unknowing from reading what some say is 'the way we do things' and then going out and killing themselves based on the impression you have given them ... a prime example is included in your last post;

I am sorry but flying at 20-30 ft every now and then in an appropriate place is fun , ... We all do it . Every mil pilot I have flown with does it ! I'm not aware that it is inherently dangerous , especially if you know the ground re wires . I am not aware of any crashes involving engine failure while flying at low level
1. We don't all do it!
2. It's not only wires that will get you!
3. How can you possibly think it's not inherently dangerous!
4. What about the recent Flamborough Head incident with two fatalities!

You seem to have a distorted view of military low flying.
To generalise; Flights were always authorised with an MSD. Very rarely would it be lower than 250' and if on a 'tactical sortie' would 100' Agl/50' MSD for the snurgelling phase. Operationally heights would be 'not above' a specified height for airspace management reasons. So this picture you have of mil helicopters wazzing around at 25' just for the fun if it and because they can, is imaginative at best.

However, I appreciate that doesn't necessarily mean it won't happen, and as I said earlier; dance with Lady Luck too often and she'll step on your toes .... you must remember the Puma at Catterick https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...a_za934_si.pdf

Oh yes;
I own my own helicopters and employ people like you and enjoy the banter .
I wondered when that was going to rear its head again