PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR Into IMC Training?
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2016, 21:24
Squawk7700

Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts
In addition, as far as I an recall, the training under foggles does not specifically teach a pilot to perform an escape manoeuvre - rate one turn 180 degrees, climb, descent etc.
Sunfish, you have clearly not been provided with the required training under the PPL syllabus and now you've got me wondering where you have been conducting your AFR's as this is all usually covered as part of the AFR and I specifically recall it being in the syllabus.

My AFR is fresh in my mind as I only did it recently and it included:

- Flying under the hood straight and level
- 30 and 45 degree turns under the hood
- A full 360 and a rate 1 turn
- Recovery from unusual attitudes whilst under the hood
- Following of instructions whilst under the hood, which included climbing and descending and turning a set number of degrees

If you feel that you have not done this adequately in your initial training and had it followed up in your AFR refreshers, I urge you to discuss this further with your instructor to ensure that you receive the adequate further training/review. Rather than do a nav on your next AFR which mind you is not required each time (you can alternate between a nav and local flight), ask to stick to the local area to work on your instrument skills. If you are not confident to be able to perform a 180 degree turn or recover from unusual attitudes, you are only cheating yourself and putting the lives of your potential passengers at risk. It's up to you to further educate yourself.

Lets face it, foggles don't do much. They do not remotely simulate the loss of situational awareness that must be part of suddenly flying IMC. There are always visual cues despite them.
Sounds like you did do the training, but "cheated" by seeking external visual clues such as a peak which will quickly "reset" any leaning feeling that you may have been experiencing.

I know pilots that without exception, always experience the "leans" or worse during the hood work which leads me to believe it's being done properly.

It's your decision as to whether you want to spend additional funds in an IFR equipped aircraft with an IFR rated instructor on an IMC day for the purposes of furthering your own education and compliance, however please don't wish for this financial burden to be placed upon all others.