PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged Keratoconus thread
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2016, 12:21
flyjet787

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keratoconus

Dear fellow Aviators,

I have been recently diagnosed with Keratoconus in both eyes. My binocular visual acuity is 6/6 without correction while my Right eye is 6/9 uncorrected and 6/6 corrected with spectacles and my Left eye is 6/6 without correction. The Keratoconus in my right eye is in the mild to mederate range while in the left eye is in very early stage.

My ophthalmologist suggested I get Collagen Crosslinking (c3r) done in my right eye to arrest the progression of Keratoconus and monitor the left eye for one year for progression. While I do meet all the visual acuity requirements of my regulator I am worried about the keratoconus and my regulator doesn't have a laid down procedure in handling Keratoconus patients.

I wanted to hear from any fellow aviators who have been diagnosed with keratoconus and have undergone C3R. What has been your experience been like in dealing with keratoconus. What is your aviation regulators stand on Keratocnus and what are the approved or recomended treatment options.

It would be great to hear from any docotors on this forum who have the experience in treating pilots with Keratoconus.

Thank you.